Self-Introduction & Brief Class Intro
Hello! I played Dragon Nest NA from 70 cap to 95 cap as Kuchiki/KuchikiiSan/KuchikiiChan and mained Dragoon and Avalanche since release. Avalanche is a safe, fast-paced, semi-DPS and debuffer class. Hope you enjoy your time with her! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me at Kuchiki#3878!
[If you're interested in learning about other classes, we have a Class Guide Archive! - Naka]
[Forward Pierce]: Good for mobility.
[Copter Strike]: Used primarily for [Class Mastery III]. When [Momentary Phantasm] is on cooldown, [Copter Strike] is a good filler. Most of the damage is on the last hit, so you do not need to finish the entire animation.
[Hornet’s Touch]: Parry skill and animation cancel. You can cast it using your spacebar during any skill animation.
[Force of Knightess]: Standard FD buff. Note that this is technically a buff rather than a toggle skill, so you have to rebuff yourself after wipes or if the duration runs out!
[Fighting Spirit]: Grants lifesteal. Each skill hit recovers a percentage of max HP – this works really well when you land multiple combos.
[Gale Stab]: Elemental debuff – only the first hit is needed to apply the debuff.
[Splitter]: Very flexible mobility and damage skill. You can slide through any direction except backwards by holding the skill key together with a direction key. You can also cancel any skill animation midway using it. Since [Splitter] interacts with A and D direction keys, I find it helpful to map [Splitter] to a mouse side key while I press the direction key on the keyboard.
[Extreme Twister]: This skill is only good for lifestealing with [Fighting Spirit], but very occasionally, this skill allows you to fill in a few seconds of gaps between your main skills to keep your rotation going.
[Momentary Phantasm]: Strongest burst skill outside of [Fatal Stinger (Instant)] and [Blizzard Shooter]. You have two options for using [Momentary Phantasm]:
- Class Mastery III: [Copter Strike] > [Momentary Phantasm]
- Casting [Momentary Phantasm] after [Copter Strike] decreases cast speed by decreasing the hit count, from 40 to 25.
- This variant is faster and does one [Copter Strike]’s worth of extra damage.
- [Momentary Phantasm] (Regular)
- The regular version has a longer cast time but is more useful for lifestealing due to the high hit count.
[Brandish]: Damage debuff. [Brandish] also resets [Extreme Twister] cooldown through [Class Mastery II]. Since [Extreme Twister] is a lackluster skill outside of lifesteal, I seldom use the Instant.
[Blunt Slash]: Ice Stack. Cast [Brandish] and right-click to cast [Blunt Slash].
[Lava Raid]: Good for mobility. I use [Forward Pierce] followed by [Lava Raid] to move.
[Radical Charge]: Good for pushing objects.
Understanding Ice Spears
Avalanche can use [Gale Stab], [Splitter], [Extreme Twister], [Frosty Cross], or [Momentary Phantasm] to generate Ice Spears. When a skill hit connects with a target, you have a 20% chance to create an Ice Spear (up to a maximum of five spears). Skills that have more hits can generate more Ice Spears.
Ice Spears interact with [Crystal Shooter], [Fatal Stinger] and [Crystal Maker].
[Crystal Shooter]: throws one of your floating Ice Spears forward to generate 2% attack per spear (up to a maximum of five throws for 10% attack). Additionally, when [Crystal Shooter] hits a target, you reduce the cooldown of [Fatal Stinger] by 5 seconds. Here are some general tips:
- Contrary to the tooltip, you do not need to hit anything to get the 2% attack buff. You just need to cast the skill!
- The [Crystal Shooter] attack buff does not get debuffed. However, you have to maintain your uptime by casting [Crystal Shooter] at least once every minute.
- Before running any content, spend time creating five attack stacks so you start running at full power.
You can consume Ice Spears to increase [Fatal Stinger]’s damage up to a maximum of 325% bonus damage (x3.25 the board damage).
[Crystal Maker] has two effects:
1. Creates Ice Spears each time you cast a skill during [Crystal Maker]’s duration.
2. Allows you to cast [Crystal Shooter] without needing Ice Spears at all.
[Crystal Shooter]’s attack buff lasts 60 seconds, [Crystal Maker]’s duration lasts 20 seconds and the cooldown lasts 60 seconds. So long as you cast [Crystal Shooter] at least twice during [Crystal Maker], you can permanently maintain your attack buff.
Avalanche can use either [Frosty Cross], [Blizzard Shooter] or [Icy Blast] to apply a Frostbite debuff for 5 seconds. When a target is frostbitten, attacking the target with any skill hit using [Gale Stab], [Splitter], [Extreme Twister], [Frosty Cross], [Momentary Phantasm], [Copter Strike], [Brandish] or [Blunt Slash] has a 25% chance to trigger [Fatal Stinger (Instant)]. Since the proc is RNG based, multi hit skills with fast animation times are better to proc [Fatal Stinger (Instant)].
- [Copter Strike] can proc frostbite [Fatal Stinger (Instant)], even if the tooltip does not say so.
[Fatal Stinger (Instant)]: The Instant does damage equal to [Fatal Stinger] with five ice spears, thus making up the bulk of your DPS spread. When you get a [Fatal Stinger (Instant)] proc, cast it above all else.
- Keep in mind that when a target is not frostbitten, it is impossible to trigger [Fatal Stinger (Instant)]. Because of this, Avalanche gameplay revolves around spacing out [Frosty Cross], [Blizzard Shooter] or [Icy Blast] to maintain the Frostbite uptime. The logic for the class rotation would involve throwing your debuffs, followed by applying the Frostbite debuff. Afterwards, use multi-hit skills to proc [Fatal Stinger (Instant)]. After the Frostbite debuff is out, use another Frostbite debuff skill and repeat.
We have access to five parry skills. The priority order for Parry Skills are as follows:
[Parrying Step] (1) > [Hornet’s Touch] (2) > [Splitter] (3 and 4 with CTC) > [Fatal Stinger] (Regular, 5)
Blocking an attack with [Parrying Step] reduces the cooldown of [Gale Stab], [Splitter], [Extreme Twister], [Frosty Cross], [Momentary Phantasm] and [Fatal Stinger] by 20%, so this is your most important parry. [Hornet’s Touch] comes next as it is the second easiest parry skill to time. [Splitter] is third because it is the hardest parry to time. Last is [Fatal Stinger] – while [Fatal Stinger] has a huge parrying window, it is not worth it to cast [Fatal Stinger] for parrying. It is better to cast it together with five ice spears for damage.
- Do note that enemy debuffs go through Parry. At times, it is much safer to [Tumble] or use [Splitter] to move out of the way.
[Splitter] (0:00), [Parrying Step] (0:03 – note how blocking reduces [Fatal Stinger]’s CD from 4 sec to 0!), [Fatal Stinger] (0:08), [Hornet’s Touch] (0:16)
We can invest SP away from [Gale Stab] to acquire more skills in the Randgrid tree.
[Rising Lava]: Great airtime. When you begin to fall down, you can briefly prolong airtime by casting [Falling Meteors] with the right mouse button.
[Falling Meteors] – Gets you in the air very quickly. Excellent for last second reactions.
[Fatal Stinger DMG] / [Splitter CD] / [Blunt Slash CD] / [Frosty Cross CD] / [Brandish CD] (Casting [Blunt Slash] after [Brandish] halves [Blunt Slash] cooldown. The CD Plate [Brandish] thus increases your Ice Stack uptime.)
[Momentary Phantasm DMG] or [Momentary Phantasm AS]: Preference.
+1 [Fatal Stinger]
Unified Skill: 1) FD Boost or Ultimate CD Reduction. (This is personal preference; FD boosts overall damage, while CD reduction gives you a long iframe to easily dodge killer mechs such as Kodiak's Stomp.) 2) HP Boost or DMG Reduction (Personal preference as well.)
[Blizzard Shooter] (Frostbite) --> [Gale Stab] (Elemental Debuff) --> [Splitter] (Animation Cancel) --> [Brandish] (Damage Debuff) --> right click --> [Blunt Slash] (Ice Stack) --> [Copter Strike] --> [Momentary Phantasm] --> [Fatal Stinger (Instant)]
Note that I stacked five [Crystal Shooter] stacks and five [Ice Spears] before the rotation.
Since Avalanche gameplay revolves around maximizing [Fatal Stinger] procs, there are no strict rotations, outside applying debuffs first and maintaining Frostbite uptimes.
After your opening rotation, cycle through your Frostbite skills as follows:
- Frostbite debuff skills priority order: [Blizzard Shooter] > [Frosty Cross] > [Icy Blast]
- Frostbite trigger skills priority order: [Momentary Phantasm] > [Splitter] > [Copter Strike] > [Gale Stab] > [Extreme Twister] > [Frosty Cross]
Class Logic (Brief Recap):
- ONE Frostbite Skill (following the priority order) -->
- Trigger Skill (following the order) -->
- Cast [Fatal Stinger (Instant)] whenever you get a proc -->
- NEXT Frostbite Skill (following the priority order) -->
- NEXT Trigger Skill (following the order) -->
- Cast [Fatal Stinger (Instant)] whenever you get a proc
[Extreme Twister AS] - Alternative Crest Option
There is an alternative option to add [Extreme Twister AS] instead of [Splitter CD]. This crest option sacrifices damage to make it easier to proc [Fatal Stinger (Instant)] with [Extreme Twister] and [Brandish] --> [Extreme Twister (Instant)]. Choosing this plate also gives you faster lifesteal potential. I have tried both plates, but I would personally not recommend going with [Extreme Twister AS] as [Splitter] does more damage. That being said, it would be really nice to plate [Extreme Twister], but I cannot decide what skill to sacrifice. This boils down to preference.
The alternative priority order for Frostbite trigger skills are: [Momentary Phantasm] > [Extreme Twister (Instant)] > [Extreme Twister] > [Splitter] > [Gale Stab]
- Do note that if you choose to go with this plate instead, you should level [Extreme Twister] instead of [Gale Stab].
Raid vs. BTG Spread Discrepancies
In raids, [Blizzard Shooter] and [Momentary Phantasm] tend to occupy #2 and #3 respectively, while [Splitter] is at #4 or #5. This is because there are downtimes during mechanics where your heavy hitting skills have the chance to go off cooldown. Secondly, blocking with [Parrying Step] also contributes to cooldown reduction. Since heavy hitting skills are prioritized over [Splitter], they will see more usage in raid, whereas in BTG, you have no idle times to recover your heavy skills, so [Splitter] is spammed more often, which brings it above [Blizzard Shooter] and [Momentary Phantasm] in BTG spreads. This discrepancy is normal and will be more prominent the more we follow the priority order.